Private Water Program
The Environmental Health Staff of the Wayne County Health Department provide education and enforcement of public health laws and rules to protect the citizens of Wayne County and to protect the water sources. Private Water Systems are potable water wells, ponds, springs, cisterns and hauled water storage tanks that provide drinking water to fewer than 25 people, less than sixty days out of the year, or have less than 15 service connections. These would include single water supplies that serve homes, small businesses, small churches, small mobile home parks or communities with fewer than 25 residents.
How to Obtain a Permit to Construct or Alter a Water Well
There are three ways to obtain a permit to construct a new water well or alter an existing well: Download Permit Application
- An application for a permit to construct a new water well or alter an existing well can be obtained in person by the property owner or his/her agent from the Division of Environmental Health.
The following items need to the submitted with an application:
• Property owner's name, mailing address and telephone number
• Property address and township
• Directions to the property
• Registered private water system contractor, ODH registration number and telephone number
• Site plan indicating the location of the well in relationship to any current or proposed structures, sewage treatment system, roadways, property lines, other potential hazards etc.
- Request the permit be obtained by the registered private water system contractor contracted to do the work.
- Property/home owners may only perform work on residences and properties that they own and shall obtain a registration from the Ohio Department of Health prior to performing work.
• Review Property Owner Private Water System Registration Information HERE.
• Form to be completed and mailed to Ohio Department of Health HERE. Once registration waiver form is approved by ODH you may apply for permit as stated above.
Testing for bacteria as an indicator for possible contamination is available for wells. This is known as coliform testing. The cost is $45 if you pick up the bottle and take the sample yourself. The cost is $70 if a sanitarian from our offices comes to take a sample (sometimes required).
The bottles can be picked up at our office any day of the week. Sampling day is Tuesday or Thursday. You may collect the sample any time after 12:00 noon on Tuesday or Thursday and bring it back to our office by 4:30 that same day or by 9:00 AM on the following morning. Sample results are usually available within 5 business days. Download Water Sample Request Form.
REAL ESTATE EVALUATION REQUESTS HERE
More Forms and Information
- List of Private Water Contractors- Wayne County Page 83
- Variance Request Form
- Request for Real Estate Private Water System Inspection Form
- List of Private Water Haulers- Call Health Department
- How to Request a Water Sample
- How to Sample your Well
- How to Disinfect your Well